Sunday, March 9, 2008

iPod Which One?

11 comments

Ever since I decided to buy an iPod, I am confused. I am not a spendthrift, so I feel like I am entering uncharted waters whenever I decide to spend more than the usual. I want to take a sensible decision so that I may not regret later for splurging on something that didn't give me what I expected. Or even worse, when I learn that I could've had an even better one at a much lesser price! I am a hardcore audiophile, so the quality of sound is of paramount priority to me. And iPods have proved again and again that they are always an audiophile's best friend. But then again, Apple presents you variants of iPod that trigger questions. Why is one priced lower than the other, is it because the sound quality of the former is lower than the latter or is it because the former has lesser features? Which one is easier to handle, more comfortable to fit inside the pocket of a jeans, more work-out friendly, more dapper and so on..


Thanks to Digit, they have helped me to narrow down my choices to three. And they are:
1. iPod Nano 3G 8GB
2. iPod Touch 8 GB
3. iPod Classic 80GB

iPod Nano 3G 8GB scores big time in audio quality and also because it is so damn small, it could fit easily in a pocket. Therefore an ideal companion for work out. Battery life is 19.2 hours. Priced at Rs.11,500 ($285 US), owning an iPod that has abundant memory has never ever become so cushy.

iPod Touch 8GB surpasses Nano in audio quality and also gives us 3.5 inch display. But my worry is whether they are work-out friendly because they are larger. Also it can burn a hole in your pocket with its price tag set at Rs.17,700 ($438 US) although Digit says you don't have to look elsewhere if money is no concern.

I thought, anyways since I would not be buying another iPod in the coming few years, it would be better to spend a few 1000 bucks more and own the fabulous iPod Touch than to settle with iPod Nano. But then I read about iPod Classic 80GB which again brought me back to square one. The cool thing about iPod Classic is that it has got a whooping 80GB memory and that too at a price of Rs.15,500 ($383 US). What would you choose, 8GB for Rs.17,700 ($438 US) or 80GB for Rs.15,500 ($383 US)? But the catch is that iPod Classic doesn't reach up to iPod Touch or iPod Nano in terms of sound quality. But there is only an insignificant quality difference though. Or would that become a significant difference when I hear from an iPod Touch afterwards? Also iPod Classic is slightly heavy and large, adding concern regarding work-out friendliness. But I could use the remaining massive memory to store movies and data, so it could be an ideal portable drive too.


See what I mean? I'm so confused! PLEASE HELP ME!!! Which iPod would you choose if your budget is Rs.18,000 ($445 US)?

  • Mark Xander March 9, 2008 at 1:03 PM
     

    Hey, Sammy. Namaste! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog (www.theveganprince.com). I love your header! :)

    I can't wait to visit India!

    Mark

  • Ganymede March 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM
     

    Oh I've always love Apple products. IPod is a must have. I'd go for the 80 GB.

    Can never have too much space. :)

  • Rambunctious WhipperSnapper March 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM
     

    Wow ... The toughest question .. I've been grappling with this for a while to ..... Which ipod to buy ... I always end up confused to whether get a nano, a zune or wait for the n96 .....

    On a seperate note, love reading you blog .....

  • nick March 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM
     

    Heya!

    I'd go for the ipod classic, simply because the nano has less storage, and the touch is a no-no for workouts as the screen smudges very easily.

    Do you guys get products by Creative there? I've got the Creative Zen Vision:M which is 30GB and love it!

  • Crazy Sam March 10, 2008 at 9:53 AM
     

    Mark Xander: Hey Mark, kumusta ka? (Did I use that right? hehe..) Thank you for stopping by.

    Queer Ranter: Yeah true, that's what I'm also thinking. More memory, the better.

    Rambunctious Whippersnapper: Whew!! That was a looong name. I'm tired already! Hehe.. Jokes apart, I checked out your blog too and found it quite interesting. You should write about your coming out to your mother.

    Nick: Yes, we get Creative products here. I know Creative Zen Vision is better than iPod Classic, but it has got only 30GB and costs around Rs.30,000 ($742 USD).

  • pepe M. March 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM
     

    for practicality sake: nano :)

  • nick March 10, 2008 at 6:57 PM
     

    How much moosik could you possibly have?? I've crammed my collection happily into my 30 gigs, along with some videos too!

  • Soul Seared Dreamer March 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM
     

    Sorry I have zip knowledge on all iPod matters.. but SIZE MATTERS.. get a large one ;o)

    Err... I mean the memory of course.

  • Rambunctious WhipperSnapper March 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM
     

    hey sam ... thankx .. and errr....ahem... i did blog abt my coming out to my mom ....and yeah... it's a long name!!!

  • Crazy Sam March 13, 2008 at 9:06 PM
     

    Pepe: Hehe.. I know you are just loving your new iPod Nano.

    Nick: I know what you mean, but look at its cost.

    Amit: Lol!! Yeah yeah I got it.. *wink*

    RambWS: I can call you like that, right? I read your coming out to mom. Admire your courage for that!

  • Anonymous March 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM
     

    Hey Sam!

    That's the exact same decision I'm making right now! Which Ipod to buy? I guess I will end up buying the 80Gb Classic. Black. :D

    Hopefully soon!


Subscribe To CSB For Free